Safwan's Journey: How renting out my car with Getaround transformed my car ownership in London

Meet Safwan, a proud owner of a Volkswagen Up!, living in the city of London. In 2022, Safwan decided to embark on a new chapter in his car ownership journey by joining Getaround. Today, Safwan shares his firsthand experience, highlighting the transformative impact that Getaround has had on his car ownership experience, allowing him to generate additional income and cope with the recent increase in cost of living.

Discovering Getaround Connect

Getaround Connect* allows him to go about his day without worrying about physical meetings with the drivers and managing his vehicle in his own time.
— says Safwan 

When asked about his decision to rent out through Getaround, Safwan explains that he was intrigued by the concept of peer-to-peer carsharing and its potential to provide a convenient and flexible income stream. Having explored various platforms, Safwan found that Getaround's reputation for seamless user experience with Getaround Connect stood out from the rest. 

*Getaround Connect - a smart device connected to your car’s dashboard. It allows drivers to instantly locate, book, and unlock your car with the Getaround app. 

Safwan doesn’t need to meet drivers to hire his Volkswagen out

Earning extra income

Since joining Getaround, Safwan has experienced a positive financial impact on his car ownership. Through renting out his Volkswagen Up! on the platform, on average, he earns around £250 every month, providing him with a welcomed additional revenue stream. Notably, during peak periods such as the summer season, Safwan's earnings surge to around £400 per month, highlighting the lucrative potential of peer-to-peer carsharing.

The Advantages of Getaround for Safwan

When asked about the advantages of renting with Getaround, Safwan eagerly shares his enthusiasm for the Getaround Connect system:

Key exchanges can be a hassle, especially if you have things planned or a customer is late. Having Getaround Connect makes renting out my car much easier and allows me to be able to enjoy my day without planning it around key exchanges.

This newfound flexibility has given Safwan the freedom to manage his vehicle on his own terms, making the carsharing experience all the more enjoyable.

Top 3 tips for new owners on Getaround

Safwan also gladly shared with us a piece of advice for the new potential owners:

• Staying on top of maintenance is very important. I would service my car every 6 months or a few thousand miles before the manufacturers recommended mileage oil change.As your car will be doing much more miles and usually longer trips it's very important to keep your car safe.

• After every trip have a safety check list that covers the main aspects of the car such as tyre tread, the car's fluids and other major safety components 

• Have an efficient cleaning method and tools that make cleaning easier like a wet vacuum for spills and stains in the vehicle

As Safwan continues his carsharing journey with Getaround, he looks forward to further exploring the benefits it offers. From the financial advantages to the convenience of the Getaround Connect system, Safwan's experience highlights how Getaround has revolutionized his car ownership experience in London.

Any questions? We can help! Reach out to us and we'll get back to you shortly.