Top 10 FAQs from first-time owners

start_sharing_my_car

Sharing your car for the first time may feel overwhelming, but we’re here to help. We listened to the experiences of our dedicated owners and compiled a list of the ten most frequently asked questions from owners just beginning their carsharing journeys. Scroll below to find helpful answers to some questions you might not have even thought to ask.

How do I know if my car is eligible to share on Getaround?

To be accepted on Getaround UK, your vehicle must:

• Be registered & parked in the UK.

• Be privately owned, manufactured to carry up to eight passengers and not exceed 3500kg in weight.

• Be covered by a yearly insurance policy, at least third-party liability insurance.

• Must be less than 12 years old at time of listing.

• Have up-to-date tax, MOT and insurance.

• Be between ABI insurance group 1-36 (37 and above not accepted).

• Have less than 130,000 miles.

To be equipped with Getaround Connect, vehicles must be:

• Less than 10 years old with mileage less than 90,000 miles. Once your car reaches 100,000 miles, the Getaround Connect box will be uninstalled.

Click below for a complete list of car eligibility requirements for sharing on Getaround.

How much can I expect to make on my car?

A well-priced, well-maintained, newer model car can bring in up to £400 or more on average each month. And with Getaround’s Smart Pricing feature , your car is always well-priced.

With Smart Pricing, we automatically adjust your car’s rate based on several factors, such as the day of the week, time of day, location, car type, trip duration, and more.

Having quality photos, a descriptive listing, and an updated availability calendar may also help your car stand out in the marketplace. If you would like to receive the figures according to your situation as well as additional advice, please complete the form below and we will get back to you shortly.

How does the Getaround Connect installation process work?

The Getaround Connect is our proprietary hardware technology sets us apart from other car sharing services. With the Connect installed on your car, you can manage your car sharing activity from our mobile app and verified drivers can unlock the vehicle right from their Getaround app — no key exchange necessary.

The installation process is easy. Once your car has been approved for sharing, we’ll help schedule a convenient time for you to meet with our technician. From there, the installation takes less than 2 hours and our technician will notify you once your Connect installation is complete.

Learn more about the benefits of the Getaround Connect by clicking below.

How does insurance work?

Rentals have comprehensive coverage from Aioi Nissay Dowa and benefit from a 24/7 roadside assistance service.

In the event of an accident, the driver pays the repair costs up to the amount of the insurance excess, and the insurer pays the rest. Getaround’s insurance covers:

• Personal injury

• Damage to your vehicle and cases of fire or theft, whether by the driver or a third party, up to a limit of £40,000.

• Damages or accidents and broken glass (impacts larger than a £1 coin)

• Third-party liability.

Outside of rentals, we advise checking with your insurance providers before listing your car on Getaround to ensure your policy allows carsharing. If anything happens with your car during a rental, our comprehensive coverage with Aioi Nissay Dowa will cover your claim. You can read up on our claims process here.

What happens if my car is stolen?

We know having a car stolen can be a very distressing experience. In these instances, our Safety team is here for you. 

If the vehicle is stolen, the theft must be reported to the police within 24 hours. Getaround’s insurance will refund the value of your vehicle as determined by an expert.

Getaround also covers misappropriation, i.e. theft by the driver themselves.

After 24h of lateness, you must file a report with the police and declare the theft to Getaround. The whole reporting process takes place online via your web browser (not the mobile app).

Meeting the driver in person and checking their identity makes misappropriation highly unlikely. This is why you must be strict about the checks performed at check-in.

For Getaround Connect rentals, these checks will be carefully performed by Getaround.

Are there any platform fees we need to take into account?

It’s completely free to list your car on Getaround and it can take max. 1-2 minutes if you have all necessary information at hand. 

The base price of a rental depends on your reference price and the rental's duration. The rental price is detailed in this article. It automatically includes your revenue as an owner, the service fee corresponding to the fee paid to Getaround, and the one paid to the insurance. Some additional costs such as extra protection plan (additional insurance), extra mileage package or the young driver's fee can be added.

The Getaround Connect subscription is £17 per month (including VAT) for each car equipped with the box. It will be profitable from your very first rental!

For your first equipped vehicle, we offer 1 free subscription month.

What do I need to do before my first booking?

At Getaround, we want to help you maximise your earnings by having your car booked as often as possible. In order to do that, you need to create a listing that attracts potential drivers and entices them to book your car over someone else’s. Want to create a listing that drivers will love? Read this article to find out how to do it.

After you’ve taken some great photos of your car, completed the car’s listing profile, don’t forget to update your calendar and fill in your bank details to make sure that your car is ready for the road and you can start getting paid! 

If your car is equipped with Getaround Connect, you might be required to add additional information like pickup instructions. Watch this video to discover more! 

How does the Getaround Connect rental work?

Driver verification

First-time renters need to verify their profile by filming their face and taking pictures of the required documents. Getaround vets the information to make sure it all checks out.

Locating the car

The driver will get your car's exact location in the Getaround app 1 hour before check-in. Getaround Connect cars are equipped with a sticker to make them easier to spot.

Unlocking the car

Using the app, the driver does a walkaround inspection before unlocking the car and starting their trip.

End of the trip

The car is driven back to its check-in location. The driver leaves the keys inside before locking the car with the app. All fuel and mileage adjustments are automatically invoiced to the driver when the trip ends.

Want to know more about the Getaround Connect advantages? Check out our dedicated video!

How do I get paid?

You’ll be paid by bank transfer, at most 3 working days after the end of the rental. After that, transfers usually take 1-2 working days to reach your bank account. This means the payment will appear in your bank account 4-5 working days after the end of the rental.

If you’ve opted for monthly accounting, you’ll receive your payments in a single bank transfer at the beginning of each month. Please note that this payout only includes rentals which ended at least 48 hours before the transfer is sent out. You can edit this setting by going to Your account > Payment settings.

To check your incoming payments, go to Your payments.

How do I handle my taxes?

In general, the income you make on Getaround is taxable and you are responsible for declaring your earnings in a timely manner.

We, Getaround are not tax professionals and are unable to provide tax advice, however, if you are unclear about how to report and declare your earnings, we encourage you to consult a tax professional.

To view your past payments visit your Dashboard on your Getaround account, select “Your Payments” and click “Excel Export”.

If you can’t find the answer to your question on our dedicated Help Center, do not hesitate to write to us at owner-eu@getaround.com 

Thinking of getting started with a fleet? Contact us at entrepreneurs@getaround.com